Our American Management Association new media team will be doing a webinar with Phillip Vassallo, author of How to Write Fast Under Pressure, next month. He will be sharing how to write concise, efficient and engaging emails.
How to Write a Darn Good Email
July 9, 2010
1:00pm – 2:30pm
Ensuring That What You Write Is What You Mean
E-mail demands clear and efficient writing, but “oops” is an all-too-common occurrence.
We’ve all seen how easily misunderstandings in e-mail messages can compromise clear communication.
Attend this helpful Webinar to get a fast-paced, hands-on lesson to strengthen your e-writing skills.
Through examples and exercises, you will learn how to target your audience, get to the point, and develop and maintain a professional e-mail style.
How You Will Benefit
* Write clear, concise mail that gets readers’ attention and results
* Convey a professional image through the e-mail you send
* Identify tone problems before pressing “send”
* Gain e-mail pointers to help you project communication savvy
What Will be Covered
* Understanding challenges of email communication
* Getting started quickly: idea lists, the three As (aim, audience, area)
* Getting to the point: strong subject lines, openings and closings
* Structuring your message clearly
* Helpful guidelines for structuring your message
* Maintaining a professional tone by recognizing what is and is not appropriate for e-communications
* Polishing your e-mail for a professional style for yourself and your organization
Because so many of your communications are via email, this is a great chance for you to spend a short time learning how to do it better.
Philip Vassallo, Ph.D., has developed, delivered and supervised communication training programs and coached a wide range of administrative and technical professionals in corporate, government and academic environments. For 19 years, Dr. Vassallo was the marketing director of Lifespire, a New York City human services organization. He has taught writing at Cornell University, Rutgers University, Kean University, Centenary College, and Middlesex County College. Dr. Vassallo is the author and coauthor of many books including The Art of On-the-Job Writing and The Art of E-Mail Writing. He is also a columnist on effective writing and education issues for the Educational Testing Service and EducationNews.org.