AMACOM, the Publishing Division of the American Management Association, has a position available in its Editorial department. AMACOM is looking for a Senior Acquisition Editor who will sign and publish approximately 20 books per year.
- Acquire new book contracts
- Monitor trends and determine topics to target for publication.
- Meet with editorial staff to review and revise as necessary editorial list plans, including researching and proposing new lists when appropriate, and adjusting the list plan to reflect changes in the marketplace.
- Solicit authors and proposals in targeted areas.
- Work with prospective authors to develop book proposals.
- Assess and respond to book proposals submitted to AMACOM.
- Analyze and evaluate proposals for content quality, viability and potential profitability and determine which projects to pursue.
- Manage backlist and revise older projects as needed.
- Present projects to Editorial Committee.
- Negotiate contracts and sign annually the number of contracts required by the Publisher
- Guide and support authors as they write their manuscripts. Manage authors and projects for timely delivery of satisfactory manuscripts.
- Review manuscripts to determine if they are ready for production.
- Prepare and deliver manuscripts to production including providing needed documentation/instructions that detail schedule requirements, editorial issues, suggestions for interior design and any other production or manufacturing specifications for the project.
- Present new book projects at AMACOM sales conference.
- Provide material about upcoming projects to marketing so they can create catalog copy, jacket copy, press releases and other needed marketing pieces. Review and approve all copy.
- Title all books.
- Serve as the point person for the project throughout the life of the book for both the author and AMA staff. This includes, but is not limited to, facilitating communication between the author and other AMA staff and serving as a source of information for AMA staff regarding the book and author.
- Provide various reports as required.
- Delegate work to assistants.
- Other related duties.
- BA/BS required.
- 5+ years of publishing experience.
- 3+ years of adult, trade, nonfiction acquisition experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work in a deadline driven and team based environment.
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office applications.