The Practical Drucker: Applying the Wisdom of the World’s Greatest Management Thinker by William A. Cohen is now available in our NetGalley catalog. Book reviewers, journalists, librarians, professors, booksellers, bloggers, or other book professionals interested in management and leadership topics can submit a request for The Practical Drucker.
The timeless teachings of the management master interpreted for today’s business challenges.
Few thinkers have had a greater impact on business than Peter Drucker, the inventor of modern management, whose legacy continues to influence leaders around the globe. His keen observations about organizations took the form of deceptively simple truths and astute predictions. Concepts such as decentralization, outsourcing, the rise of the knowledge worker, the role of employees as assets, and a focus on the customer—it was Drucker who first expressed them, sometimes decades before they be came accepted wisdom.
Although renowned as a thinker and idea generator, the “what” in his teachings was far more prevalent than the “how.” Now, The Practical Drucker mines his vast body of work to pinpoint 40 applicable truths for solving real-world problems. Readers will find surprising insights and clear guidance on how to:
• Engage employees and achieve outstanding performance
• Remedy destructive office politics
• Approach innovation
• Ensure follow-through on good ideas by establishing controls
• Handle a crisis
• Become better decision makers by questioning assumptions
• Determine which leadership style to use in which situation
• Do more with less
• Steer clear of the biggest traps that leaders fall into
• Avoid the five deadly marketing sins
• And much more
In succinct, satisfying chapters, the book distills the practical wisdom from Drucker’s myriad books, essays, articles and his decades of teaching and consulting into a set of fresh, vital lessons that will resonate today and for years to come.
William A. Cohen, Ph.D., President of the Institute of Leader Arts and The California Institute of Advanced Management, was Drucker’s first executive Ph.D. graduate. He has held executive positions in several companies and served as president of two universities. He is the author of many books, including Heroic Leadership, A Class with Drucker, Drucker on Leadership, and Drucker on Marketing.
NetGalley is a service for people who read and recommend books, such as book reviewers, journalists, librarians, professors, booksellers, and bloggers.
There are a number of different reading options for this e-galley:
- Quick Browse. Preview the galley using NetGalley’s web-based reader.
- Download Galley. Read a Protected (DRM) galley on your computer, Sony Reader, B&N’s Nook, Kobo Reader, or other device. You’ll need Adobe Digital Editions (free software). You can also read on your iPad or iPhone via the Bluefire Reader app.
- Kindle. Send a NetGalley file to your Kindle device, using your @Kindle.com or @free.Kindle.com email address. Make sure to follow the instructions here. Note: The Kindle button works for Kindle devices only. By pressing the orange Kindle button for a NetGalley title, you can send the file to your Kindle device. You will not be able to share that file with any Kindle apps (like Kindle for PC or iPhone).
- Email Publisher. This button will allow you to email the publisher directly to request a reading option not currently enabled.