The following is a guest post by Director of Rights & International Sales Therese Mausser about the titles AMACOM will be showcasing at the Frankfurt Book Fair, which starts tomorrow.
October. . . that time of year when people’s minds turn to the beautiful autumn colors, the World Series (our NYC sports teams should be so lucky!), and the lead-in to the long holiday season. In publishing, though, October means gearing up for the Frankfurt Book Fair! The Frankfurter Buchmesse is the biggest international book fair and marketplace for rights and licenses. Last year, approximately 7,400 exhibitors from more than 100 countries, and over 280,000 visitors attended the fair. This is where the entire publishing industry gathers, and where new trends are discovered.
This year the fair begins on Wednesday, Oct. 9, and runs through Oct. 13. On hand at the AMACOM booth #J-51 in Hall 8.0 will be Rosemary Carlough, VP, Marketing; Lynsey Major, Rights & International Associate, William Helms, Associate Acquisitions Editor (a first-timer at the fair), and myself. The books and catalogs have all been shipped, the meetings all set up (some arranged mere days after the BEA ended in June!), and our accommodations await us at our favorite home-away-from-home hotel in Bad Soden, a lovely old spa town just outside of Frankfurt.
We are excited to meet all the people vital to our publishing success, expand our network of publishing partners, cultivate already existing contacts, and make new ones. We will showcase our books—both recently published and backlist titles. And we’re looking forward to presenting our new Spring-Summer 2014 list, which includes books on:
- Business/Management (our key area, as the publishing division of American Management Association): A World Gone Social: How Companies Must Adapt to Survive and The Hidden Leader: Discover and Develop Greatness Within Your Company
- Big data: Think Bigger—Developing a Successful Big Data Strategy for Your Business and It’s Not the Size of the Data, It’s How You Use It—Smarter Marketing With Analytics and Dashboards
- Careers: Own Your Future: How to Think Like an Entrepreneur and Thrive in an Unpredictable Economy and Trajectory 7 Career Strategies to Take You from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
- Communication: SuperCommunicator: Explaining the Complicated in a Digital Age
- Small Business: The Art of War for Small Business: Defeat the Competition and Dominate the Market with the Masterful Strategies of Sun Tzu
- Two new additions to The Brian Tracy Success Library: Marketing and Management
- And two new parenting books, as we re-enter this field in the upcoming season: In Faith and In Doubt: How Religious Believers and Nonbelievers Can Create Strong Marriages and Loving Families, and A Survival Guide to Parenting Teens –Talking to Your Kids About Sexting, Drinking, Drugs, and Other Things That Freak You Out.
Therese Mausser is Director, Rights & International Sales, AMACOM Books, New York. She is currently getting ready for another Frankfurt Book Fair (her 29th one!) this October 12-16. It is one of the things she loves best about her job–this opportunity to meet with so many of the wonderful publishers and agents we work with throughout the year. Visit our website for information on rights and permissions inquiries of AMACOM titles.