In a world where our communication with others is increasingly happening on the internet and in just 140 characters, truly connecting with people and building productive relationships is becoming even more of a challenge than it used to be. Just Listen: Discover the Secret to Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone by Mark Goulston explores strategies for improving your communication skills and teaches you how to deal with the struggles of making yourself understood. Journalists, booksellers, book reviewers, librarians, and media professionals interested in the benefits of improving communication skills are invited to request Just Listen for review.
The bestseller on how to reach anyone
—even the unreachable.
Do you ever feel like you’re talking to a brick wall?
The first step in persuading anyone to do anything is getting them to hear you out. But whether the person is a cynical colleague, furious customer, or overwhelmed spouse, their emotional barriers may be blocking your message. And if you can’t break through, you can’t move forward.
Just Listen has helped tens of thousands of people tear down walls and establish productive communication. In this landmark book, veteran psychiatrist and business coach Mark Goulston reveals simple, proven techniques for moving people
from resistance to consensus, explaining how to:
- Listen effectively
- Make even a total stranger—perhaps a potential client—feel “felt”
- Shift an angry or aggressive person into a calmer, more receptive state
- Use empathy jolts to quickly bridge communication gaps
- Turn negative people into assets using the “Magic Paradox”
- Achieve buy-in, the linchpin of all negotiation, persuasion, and sales
Barricades between people become barriers to success and happiness, so getting through is not just a fine art—it’s a crucial skill. With Just Listen, readers learn how to transform the “impossible” and “unreachable” people in their lives into true allies,
loyal customers, and lifelong friends.
Mark Goulston is a business advisor, consultant, coach, speaker, and psychiatrist. The author of Get Out of Your Own Way and other popular books, he blogs for Harvard Business Review, Fast Company, Business Insider, Huffington Post, and Psychology Today; co-hosts a weekly radio show; and is featured frequently in major media, including The Wall Street Journal, Fortune, Newsweek, Time, CNN, Fox News, and the TODAY show.
NetGalley is a service for people who read and recommend books, such as book reviewers, journalists, librarians, professors, booksellers, and bloggers.
There are a number of different reading options for this e-galley:
- Download Galley. Read a Protected (DRM) galley on any major reading device, or on your computer. Click here to see the list of supported devices and instructions for each.
- Kindle. Send a NetGalley file to your Kindle device, using your @Kindle.com or @free.Kindle.com email address. Make sure to follow the instructions here.
- Submit Feedback. After reading the e-galley, don’t forget to submit feedback via NetGalley and post your review online.